Teaming with Microbes
There’s a whole lot more going on in garden soil than you could ever imagine. Teaming with Microbes: The Organic Gardener’s Guide to the Soil Food Web gives you a close-up look at all of the organisms that work together to build a soil structure and dense nutritional composition that naturally feeds plants and fends off pests. Hardcover, 220 pp.
Inside the cover:
• Tips for making and adding compost and compost tea
• Application of mulches for soil protection
• Clear explanations on interactions among soil bacteria, fungi and other microorganisms
• The wonders of mycorrhiza
• Indicators of mineral deficiencies
• When to work the soil to preserve optimal composition
Jeff Lowenfels is an award winning author and a proponent of gardening using the concepts of the soil food web. He is also the founder of Plant a Row for the Hungry, a program that encourages all gardeners to donate one row to feed the hungry.